Friday, December 4, 2009

N95 Autopsy... Cause of death determined.



A snapped data flex ribbon is the cause. Ordered a replacement part from a vendor in Malaysia for $43 (incl postage). Will be receiving it probably next Wednesday.

Anyway, my experience with Nokia Service Center left me pretty puzzled. I called the call center to ask for the cost of repair. I was told that it could only be determined at the service center by their "expert technician".

At the service center, I was greeted by what I would consider to be a receptionist or some kind of front desk personnel. After looking at the phone, I was told that the repair would cost $80 to $150. I asked if they would call me to inform me of the exact cost before going ahead with the repair. The answer was no. I then asked what caused the problem with my phone. I was told that its a faulty LCD screen.

After taking the N95 apart, it apparently is not the case. It leaves me wondering if we are sometimes causing unnecessary wastage due to some company policy towards repair. (one that encourages replacement and not repair)

No comments: